Date: 11 Jun 2021
The first, and what is probably the most important step of cleaning an old oil painting, is a thorough analysis of both the condition of the oil painting and of our confidence in our own abilities.
In regard to this analysis there are three main areas to focus on, which are as follows:
- The condition of the layers of paint
- The condition of the canvas, including any wear or tear
- an assessment of the frame on which it is stretched on
If any of the following apply then the safest option for restoring the painting without damaging it would be to turn it into a professional:
- If the top layer of paint isn’t just dirty but there are dames or exposed areas reaching the canvas
- If the canvas itself is damaged, for example, if the fabric has been torn or frayed.
- If there is any damage to the stretcher bars or even slight deformation to the wooden frame.
Therefore in this article, we will introduce you to the easiest and safest steps in the restoration of an old oil painting, namely the cleaning of a canvas dirtied with dust and other layers.